Banana turon are the ultimate fruit treat! With caramelized crispy wrapper and filling of soft, sweet banana and langka strips, these Filipino spring rolls are sweet, crunchy, and seriously addictive!
Banana Turon or also known as lumpiang saging is a Filipino lumpia made of ripe saba bananas rolled in sugar, wrapped with a spring roll wrapper, and then deep-fried into golden perfection. They’re a popular streetfood and are commonly enjoyed as a midday snack or after-meal dessert.
What you’ll need
- Bananas– turon use saba or cardaba which are a type of cooking bananas indigenous to the Philippines. If you’re in the U.S. and can’t find them, plaintains will work in a pinch. Do not substitute cavendish (Dole) bananas as they’ll turn mushy.
- Jackfruit– adds another layer of sweetness. For convenience, use sweetened langka sold sold at most Asian supermarkets
- Lumpia wrappers– thin spring roll wrappers that come in round or square shape
- Sugar– use granulated white sugar to coat the bananas for a touch of sweetness and the wrappers to caramelize during frying
- Oil– use oil with a neutral taste and high smoke point such as canola, safflower, corn, or grapeseed oil.
- Choose bananas that are ripe and sweet but firm enough to hold shape during frying.
- Cover the lumpia wrappers with a damp cloth or paper towel during wrapping to prevent them from drying out.
- Switch up flavors by replacing the sweetened jackfruit with cream cheese, ube halaya, quick-melt cheese, peanut butter, or chocolate.
- Roll the turon as tightly as possible to keep oil from seeping in during frying.
- For best texture, deep-fry in enough oil to cover the turon fully and maintain an optimal temperature of 350 F to 375 F. Too hot and the sugar will burn before the wrapper is fully cooked; too low and the turon will absorb more grease.
- Do not drain on paper towels as the caramel will stick. Use a wire rack set over a baking sheet or colander set over a bowl or plate to catch oil drips.
- 12 saba bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 24 spring roll wrappers
- 1/2 cup sweetened jackfruit, cut into strips
- canola oil